Enrolling your baby/toddler in child care has many advantages. It can also be a challenging time for children and parents alike. We currently have limited spaces available at Melbourne Juniors and would love to give your family a tour of our beautiful centre. We can also discuss these useful tips on what to expect and how to help your child settle into a child care environment for the first time.
At Melbourne Juniors your child will have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships. They will engage in playful learning experiences that will benefit them both now and in the future. It's important to remember that each child is different. Some may take a short time to adjust to the new environment and others may take a little longer. Our educators are here to help make this transition as smooth as possible for you and your child.
What can you do?
- Visit Melbourne Juniors with your child to familiarise them, and yourself with the new environment. Talk to us about your child's current requirements and routines.
- Gradually building up the length of time your child spends in care - if practical, you may like to collect your child earlier for the first few days.
- Sending a favourite toy or comfort item.
- Let our educators know about favourite activities that may be used to distract or calm your child.
- Settling your child at a preferred activity before you leave.
- Establishing a 'goodbye routine'. For example, reading a story and then doing a puzzle before saying goodbye.
- Talking about child care and letting them know they will have a good time and be well cared for.
- Reassuring your child when you leave that you will be back later to collect them.
Children who become very upset when they are left often settle very quickly and happily once the actual separation is over. Consistent rituals or a routine that suits your individual child will support them to manage the change and are helpful for settling into care. Our wonderful educators are here to help make the transition as smooth as possible so please talk to us if you would like to take a tour of our beautiful centre or discuss what will work best for you and your child.